Descriptive Reflection: Self Introduction Email

Subject: Self-Introduction Email


Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

I am writing this email to introduce myself to you in hopes that it will allow you to know me better. My name is Chew Rui Ying and I am a year 1 Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology.

I graduated with an Electronics and Computer Engineering diploma from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2022. I pursued engineering in the first place as I was unsure of what to do in the future. My internship with Creative Technology and Razer was where I became more interested in engineering as I gained many insights into the engineering field. There were many different aspects that I understood and it was very eye-opening for me, which was the reason why I decided to continue on the engineering path at university. I was a software testing intern at Razer and I test different Razer products using the acquired software to see if the software and products can work hand in hand together. I also managed to learn automation skills and different programming languages through my internship. As I have a passion for arts, I used to open a small blog shop where I sold my handmade accessories like beaded bracelets, necklaces and rings. I am always fond of beaded accessories but they are always sold at high prices in shops, hence I decided to do it myself and at the same time, unleash my creativity.

My communication strength is that I am an active listener. There were many instances where my friends would be ranting or talking to me and since I am open-minded, it is easier for me to listen and understand where they are coming from. I would also share my thoughts and opinions with them to communicate with them effectively.

My communication weakness is my inability to craft good writing and being a nervous presenter. I tend to write contents that are too long-winded and there are many instances where my grammar will be inaccurate. I also tend to get very nervous when I am presenting, which will cause me to speak fast and not have any clarity in my words.

Looking forward to your next class and here is to being a better communicator and a critical thinker!

Best Regards,

Rui Ying

                                                                                                            Revised on: 31 March 2023

Comments

  1. Rui Ying has good content and flow throughout her letter. Her points are clear and concise, especially when it comes to her strength and weakness as she provides evidence to back up her points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hong Xian! Appreciate the comments and thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Rui,

    What a fascinating letter this is! You provide lots of info covering the various points from the assignment brief. You also give details to illustrate. It's enriching for your readers to learn so much about you, be that your in-depth job experience or your mention of having owned a bag shop. Honestly, Id like to know more about both of those. What was working at Razer like? And what accessories did you make? How? Why?

    The issue here is, as you mention, is a tendency to be long-winded. There are a number of sentence structure issues for you to consider:
    -- My internship with Creative Technology and Razer was where I became more interested in engineering as I gained many insights on the engineering field, and understood the many different aspects it was very eye-opening for me, which was the reason why I decided to continue on the engineering path at university. > (a bit rambling)
    -- There were many instances where my friends would be ranting or talking to me and as I think I am open-minded, it is easier for me to listen to them and understand where they are coming from and I would share my thoughts and opinions with them to communicate with them effectively. > (It's better to shorten this long sentence.) ?
    -- I tend to write contents that are too long-winded and there are many instances where my grammar will be inaccurate hence, I hope to be able to learn how to be a better writer and presenter through this module as I do also think that I am not a good presenter as I tend to get very nervous when I am presenting, which will cause me to speak fast and not having any clarity in my words. > ?

    Let's work on these. See me if you need to do so in order to make this letter shine. I'd be happy to help.

    You have so much to offer your module buddies in terms of them learning from both your work and life experience.

    I hope we can see more of you in class and hear more from you.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Professor Blackstone for the comments! Will take note of your comments and update my reflection accordingly, and yes, I will look for you soon for your help. Thank you once again!

      Delete

Post a Comment